Skip to main content
This section is included in your selections.

The terms as used in this chapter shall have the following meanings:

"Best management practices (BMPs)" means schedules of activities, prohibitions of practices, general good housekeeping practices, pollution prevention, educational practices, maintenance procedures, and other management practices to prevent or reduce the discharge of pollutants directly or indirectly to storm water, receiving waters, or to the storm sewer system. BMPs also include treatment practices, operating procedures, and practices to control site runoff, spillage or leaks, sludge or water disposal, or drainage from raw materials storage.

"City" means the city of Selah

"Clearing" means any construction activity that removes the vegetative surface cover.

"Construction activity" means clearing, grading, excavation, and any other activity which results in a land disturbance. Such activities may include, but are not limited to, road building, construction of residential homes, office buildings, commercial establishments, parking lots, industrial facilities, and demolition activity.

"Construction storm water general permit" means a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) and State Waste Discharge general permit for storm water discharges associated with construction activity.

"Development" means any construction, reconstruction, conversion, structural alteration, relocation, or enlargement of any structure within the jurisdiction of the city of Selah as well as any manmade change or alteration to the landscape, including but not limited to, mining, drilling, dredging, grading, paving, excavating and filling.

"Drainage way" means any channel that conveys surface runoff throughout the site.

"Erosion control" means a measure that prevents erosion.

"Erosion and sediment control specialist" means a person who has received training and is authorized by the city to inspect and maintain erosion and sediment control practices.

"Grading" means excavation or fill of material, including the resulting conditions thereof.

"Municipal separate storm sewer system (MS4)," also known as "storm sewer system" means city-owned facilities including, but not limited to, any roads with drainage systems, municipal streets, gutters, curbs, inlets, piped storm drains, pumping facilities, retention and detention basins, natural and human-made or altered drainage channels, reservoirs, and other drainage structures (i) designed or used for collecting or conveying storm water; (ii) which is not a combined sewer; and (iii) which is not part of a publicly owned treatment works (POTW) as defined at 40 CFR 122.2.

"NPDES discharge permit" means a National Pollutant Discharge Elimination System (NPDES) permit issued by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) or the Washington State Department of Ecology that authorizes the discharge of pollutants to waters of the U.S.

"Perimeter control" means a barrier that prevents sediment from leaving a site by filtering sediment-laden runoff or diverting it to a sediment trap or basin.

"Permittee" means any individual, firm, association, club, organization, corporation, partnership, business trust, company or other entity which is recognized by law as the subject of rights or duties.

"Person" means any individual, association, organization, partnership, firm, corporation, or other entity recognized by law and acting as either the owner of premises, or as the owner's agent.

"Phasing" means clearing a parcel of land in distinct phases, with the stabilization of each phase completed before the clearing of the next.

"Pollutant" means anything which causes or contributes to pollution. Pollutants may include, but are not limited to, wrecked or discarded equipment, rock, sand, cellar dirt, and industrial, municipal, and agricultural waste; paints, varnishes, and solvents; oil and other automotive fluids; nonhazardous liquid and solid wastes and yard wastes; refuse, rubbish, garbage, litter, or other discarded or abandoned objects, ordinances, and accumulations, so that same may cause or contribute to pollution; floatables; pesticides, herbicides, and fertilizers; hazardous substances and wastes; sewage, fecal coliform, and pathogens; dissolved and particulate metals; animal wastes; wastes and residues that result from constructing a building or structure; and noxious or offensive matter of any kind.

"Pollution means contamination or other alteration of the physical, chemical, or biological properties of waters of the state, including change in temperature, taste, color, turbidity, or odor of the waters; or such discharge of any liquid, gaseous, solid, radioactive or other substance into any waters of the state as will, or is likely to, create a nuisance or render such waters harmful, detrimental, or injurious to the public health, safety or welfare, or to domestic, commercial, industrial, agricultural, recreational, or other legitimate beneficial uses, or to livestock, wild animals, birds, fish or other aquatic life.

"Premises" means any building, lot, parcel of land, or portion of land whether improved or unimproved, including adjacent sidewalks and parking strips.

"Redevelopment" means a project for which a building permit is typically required that proposes to add, replace, and/or alter impervious surfaces affecting the existing drainage system, other than routine maintenance, resurfacing, or repair. Projects that include the creation or addition of impervious surfaces; the expansion of a building footprint or addition or replacement of a structure; or structural development including construction, installation or expansion of a building or other structure shall be considered redevelopment.

"State regulatory threshold" refers to the one-acre size of new development and redevelopment projects that shall be regulated under the terms of the construction storm water general permit. The threshold includes construction site activities and new development and redevelopment projects that result in a land disturbance of equal to or greater than one-acre and construction activities and projects less than one-acre that are part of a larger common plan of development or sale.

"Sediment control" means measures that prevent eroded sediment from leaving the site.

"Site" mean a parcel of land or a contiguous combination thereof, where grading work is performed as a single unified operation.

"Stabilization" means the use of practices that prevent exposed soil from eroding.

"Start of construction" means the first land-disturbing activity associated with construction activities, including land preparation such as clearing, grading, and filling; installation of streets and walkways; excavation for basements, footings, piers, or foundations; erection of temporary forms; and installation of accessory buildings such as garages.

"Storm water" means any surface flow, runoff, or drainage consisting entirely of water from any form of natural precipitation, and resulting from such precipitation. Storm water includes runoff from melting snow and ice.

"Stormwater Management Manual for Eastern Washington" means the latest edition the Stormwater Management Manual for Eastern Washington published by the Washington State Department of Ecology.

"Storm water pollution prevention plan (SWPPP)" means a document which describes the best management practices and activities to be implemented by a person, permittee or business to identify sources of pollution or contamination at a site, and the actions to eliminate or reduce pollutant discharges to storm water, the storm sewer system, and/or receiving waters to the maximum extent practicable. The term "storm water pollution prevention plan" is interchangeable with the term "storm water management plan."

"Watercourse" means any body of water including, but not limited to, lakes, ponds, rivers, streams, irrigation ditches and canals, and bodies of water delineated by the city.

"Waterway" means a channel that directs surface runoff to a watercourse or to the public storm drain.

"WDOE" means the Washington State Department of Ecology (Ord. 1800 § 1, 2010.)